BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 9, 2010

~Happy Mother's Day




When I was a kid it seemed like for every Mother's Day, Mom and Nana received geraniums, usually the hanging basket variety. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure why that was the present of choice? But every year I can remember walkin' around the local nursery for the perfect red geranium, walkin' isle after isle, stepping over (and trying not to trip over) yards of water hose as I went along. It likely had sumthin' to do with the fact that left to my own lil' BBG devices, Mom and Nana would have received a slinky, skateboard, super ball, or whatever else I secretly (or not so much) coveted at the time.

I've gotten a wee bit better at my present picks over the years, when left to my own devices. (A wee bit.) Also over time, I realize more and more how lucky I got on the Mom selection lotto. I always say, it's a parent's main job to keep a kid alive, and if you've done that, you're doing ok. While it's a kids job to figure out new ways to figure out how to have fun and mischief, which we all know is just a fancy schmancy way of sayin' "fun", while circumventing all laws of reason, predictability and physical safety. Game on! I was a formidable foe as a child (....probably still am...). Mom has spent more than her fair share of hours sitting in an ER or a surgical waiting room for me. And I am still alive, baby!!

In addition to keeping me alive, Mom did all of the extra stuff that is the hallmark of a great Mom...

-Like teaching me that while I'm the center of my universe, I'm not the center of the universe...

-Insisting that I knew how to read a map and drive stick so that I was always capable of getting myself home, no matter what.

-Like waking up in the middle of the night to talk to me, even after pulling a full shift at the hospital because she knew that I was most likely to chat at some ungodly hour...

-Teaching me there is a time and a place for being ladylike, kind and peaceful, and that there were times and situations when you have to stand up for yourself and "strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger" (...ok, those were Samuel L. Jackson & Ezekiel words, but Mom taught me the sentiment well before I ever heard of those two cats)...

-Teaching lessons that have proven to be invaluable to me, like it's what people do, not what they say that is what you really should 'listen' to. And that when people show you who they are, not to doubt it, or think I can magically wave my wand and change it. Accept it as reality and make your decisions from there (it's a dealbreaker or it's not). And trust my instincts over anyone else's judgement. And that the Golden Rule isn't some trite cliche, but generally, a pretty absolute mandate...

-Teaching me that there are good and bad eggs in every group and that people are to be judged on "who" they individually are, not "what" (poor/rich, gay/straight, Democrat/Republican, black/white, Catholic/Muslim, etc.) they are...

-Teaching me that I'm just fine exactly as I am. Not that I'm somehow perfect, but that as long as I'm doin' right and being true to what I feel my path should be, as long as it's not infringing on someone else, that there is no need to conform to the prevailing winds, whatever they may be at the moment...

-Teaching me how to make a plan, yet always be prepared to roll with the punches life tosses at me and to carpe diem...

I could list a million reasons why my Mom is extra special. But aside from keeping me alive, maybe her greatest achievement in mothering has been teaching me lessons too many kids are never taught by their moms, which is how to know who I am, how to know what to do, and how to figure out what I feel. Mom has made me, for good (or bad) the BBG I yam.

Mom-- I'm more grateful than you'll ever know or will ever be able to adequately express. I know it's not enough, but it's all I've got: Thank you. For every thing.

Happy Mother's Day!
Love,
Your BBG

P.S. LEM, Jodi Foster & LH~ Happy First Mother's Day!! And Happy Mother's Day to LB2'd, the Mom of my godkids!!


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You touch my heart. I am so proud to be your mom. Thank you for being my daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...