BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, May 28, 2010

~My Beef With Memorial Day


Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor our boys and girls in the military who have given their lives in service to our country.

It sticks in my crawl, which by the way, I'm not even entirely sure where that even is on my body, but I didn't go to medical school, so I'm ok with that ignorance. ...I can dissect and label a heart, can you?  Okay then, suck it. that people treat it like, *Thank A Military Person Day*.  ...First of all, do ya need a special day to do that?  Isn't that a good any/every day practice?  I, seemingly, can't stop myself from thanking a military person for their service.  Let someones son or daughter pass me by in the airport sportin' some fatigues and see if I don't toss a "thank you for your service, you American badass you", or let some lil' ol' man with Purple Heart license plates walkin' from his car cross my path and I all of the sudden I am incapable of fighting the urge to shake his hand and say thanks.  Beer has been known to magically appear at the hands of a stranger sittin' across the way sportin' a military tat.  I value the sacrifice and commitment of those who have oathed up and am all about giving those who serve our nation home and abroad their well due props.

But see, Memorial Day ( --operative word being "Memorial", uh huh.) is about honoring the fallen, not the still serving or veterans. Again, it's always nice to thank a service member/vet, and if somehow you can't seem to remember to do it the other 364, there is indeed a day devoted to them. You may be familiar with it from such films as Veterans Day (Nov. 11th).



I guess my beef isn't so much with Memorial Day, as it is with Americans who cannot be bothered with knowing the meaning of the day being marked.  To me at least, it feels super disrespectful to those who gave their lives in service to our country, and their families, that we act as though this day is interchangeable and/or indistinguishable from others.   And honestly?  When there's a hint in the name of the holiday?  ...I mean, 'come the fuck on, 'Murica... 

I've been told my stance on the matter is (ahem) "nit-picky".  Perhaps it is.   Please know that my feel bad level on that is zero. 
And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
– Lee Greenwood

#SomeGaveAll 


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...