BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

~Religion, Politics & Abortion

WARNING:  I THOUGHT WHEN I DECIDED TO WRITE ON THESE TOPICS THAT IT WOULD BE A THREE INSTALLMENT MINI SERIES WITH ONE ON EACH SUBJECT, BUT THE MORE I TYPED THE MORE OBVIOUS THAT THESE TOPICS WERE INEXTRICABLY INTERTWINED AND ENMESHED.  Soooooooo, HAVE AN EMPTY BLADDER WHEN YOU START THIS.  THIS IS UNFORTUNATELY OFFICIALLY THE L-O-N-G-E-S-T BBGWorld POST EVER.  I'M SORRY.

EXTRA WARNING:  FROM THE TITLE YOU CAN SEE THE SUBJECT MATTER OF TODAY'S POST IS CONTROVERSIAL, AS I'M SURE WILL BE CONSIDERED SOME OF MY STATEMENTS.  I HAVE TENDENCY TO BE CURSE-Y.  I'M NOT TRYING TO PROMOTE MY VIEWS TO ANYONE, I AM SIMPLY SHARING WHAT MY VIEWPOINTS AND OPINIONS ARE, WHY I FEEL SOME OF THE WAYS THAT I DO.  YOU ARE FREE TO AGREE OR DISAGREE.  BUT REMEMBER, YOU'RE ALSO FREE TO SKIP THIS AND RETURN ON A DIFFERENT DAY. 

                               _____________________________


Religion, politics and abortion.

...Yeah.

We're not supposed to talk about that.

But when do I do what I'm supposed to do? 

I mean, I haven't yet.  

Why start now?

Besides, I've been trying to avoid writing this post because I knew once I got rollin' it was gonna turn into a whole big thing.  That once the flood gates opened and hot pink nails started a tappin' on keys there would be no puttin' the genie back in the bottle.  It got to the point that every time I thought about posting about something ridiculous and disturbingly, yet weirdly interesting (aka: my life), I found myself fighting the urge to a chat about one or more of these three subjects.   Apparently, I've gotta get a few things off my chest so that I can resume regular random BBGWorld programing.  Here we go...



BBG Confession:  Religion might be killing me.  

Just because you should have a reference point as we begin our time together, I'm Catholic.  How Catholic?  School girl uniform wearin' (not now, get your mind outta the damn gutter, hell, stop and think about what a Big Brown Opps I Did It Again look might actually be like, bet you're sorry now?  Shame on you.) - Midnight/Ash Wednesday mass goin' - do unto others doin' - don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent - there's a glow in the dark rosary in my purse - I believe in running my life in as Jesus-y of a way as I can manage at any given moment, Catholic.  That's how I chose to roll. 

(This, of course, does NOT mean I'm perfect in my BBGness.  I'm capable of being thoughtless, although usually not maliciously.  I'm prone to telling someone to fuck off if I feel the situation calls for it, Jesus probably wouldn't do that.  I make stupid mistakes and errors in judgement.  When I'm hungry or shopping I can get pretty bitchy.  ...Listen, the list of the many, many ways I ain't perfect would stretch ad infinitum, and let's face it we don't have that kinda time to waste here today...)

Now lemme tell you what I think about your religious, or non-religious views...

(crickets)

Oh, that's right, I don't

I don't mean that in a disrespectful way.  I just think that's between you, your conscience and whichever him/her/it you have faith in.  You're a grownup and in charge of you.  Whatever your personal mantra or doctrine is, is really of none of my concern.  Mozel Tov to whatever works for ya.

This is America.  We're the OG's of freedom of religion, son.  I was fortunate enough to have been schooled in an environment where we had classes about other religions, we took field trips to the local synagogue, Greek Orthodox, Baptist church, etc., therefore I knew my religious views weren't the only views.  I knew how similar the roots and ideals of many religions are.  As I sat in Old Testament class listening to a man in a collar explain the passage we were discussing, I was never told my faith was more important than anyone else's.  I was raised to have respect for my beliefs, but I was also taught to have respect for the beliefs (or non) of others.  And it's beginning to feel like I'm the last girl on that program.


It seems everyday I'm appalled and offended by the lack of respect for any religious view other than their own and the downright hateful things people do and say in the name of their religion.  Yes.  I am aware that the Catholic church and Holy Sea has done some super sketchy stuff under the color of religion, both in the past and present.  But before you throw your stone at me, take a long, hard glance at your religious glass house.  Practically every religion has some shady skeleton lurking in some closet.   It's disgusting.  It's not righteous, or pious.

It's fanaticism.

And anything taken to extreme is eventually going to turn problematic.  If your passion and dedication to your favorite sports team morphs into complete ire when you see the colors of your rival and next thing you know you're in a mob in the parking lot handing out a beat down to the guy wearin' the 'enemy' jersey, that's a problem.  If your gig is drugs/drinking there are a million and one examples of that turning into a problem.  It's the difference between, "Aunt Pia collects Precious Moments" and "Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhh, Aunt Pia hoards Precious Moments" (complete with obligatory eye roll).  It's not the, weirdly put into adult situations , large eye'd, dust collectin', ceramic babies that are the problem, the problem is Aunt Pia's inability to control and keep perspective of her zeal for them.   Anytime anything holds such a prominence in one's life it's rife for slipping into fanaticism.  I'm sure becoming a strict and adherent blueberryaterian would prove to be issue, and blueberries are a super fruit for fucks sake.  Reminder:  There's a reason the cliche isn't; 'Some things in moderation', ya know?

Religion is no exception.  And again, I'm not bad mouthin' your religious beliefs (or lack there of), or even religion in general.  I'm talkin' 'bout those who've crossed the line between being a person ruled by their faith, to a person who uses their faith to rule others. 

Honestly, what someone does in practice of their religion (obviously, as long as it doesn't involve actual crime) in their own life, in their own home, at there own gatherings or in their own place of worship?  I could literally not give less of a fuck about.  Do your thang.  Believe your beliefs.  Live long and prosper.  But too many religious folks, of all varieties and flavors but specifically at this moment in time and in this climate, Christians, particularly of the evangelical and ultra conservative ilk are just trying to be the death of me.  Making me ask myself, too frequently, when did it become a Christian value to be a dick?

Wait.  An intolerant dick?  I was raised to believe that being a person of faith (and I don't mean mine, I mean any.) meant being kind, tolerant, accepting of your fellow man.  That you were to be generous in heart and spirit.  That your deeds and words should be helpful and of service.  That empathy should be exercised vigorously and love should be practiced aggressively.  Ya know, how Christians are supposed to be acting, all Christ-like
 
I know. I know.  That seems like a harsh rock to hurl and at a whole lotta people. 

Unfortunately, from my perspective it's an earned rock.  Too many (not all) Christian folk have embraced a level of fanaticism that they firmly believe it's appropriate to act in some decidedly un-Christ like ways.  And too many Christians notice that this is happening and don't speak up about it.  When you watch a someone getting bullied, if you don't stand up with/for the person getting bullied, you've already sided with the bully.

It seems every day as we approach the upcoming elections and I'm that much more in tune with the news 'o the day in an attempt to keep up with ta-doin's, I see/read/hear something that inevitably makes me think that if I hear/see one more person using their faith to belittle or denigrate someone/group, or use their beliefs to manage someone else's life, I fear my head may explode. 


Again, I'm not saying you don't have the right to practice your religion in any way you see fit.  I am saying you (I) don't have the right to expect or try to enforce that anyone else should be beholden to your (my) faith based values. 

Faith, yours or mine, shouldn't factor into which grown ass American citizen is allowed to marry another grown ass American citizen.  It shouldn't decide if an American woman (under any circumstances; from rape and incest all the way to full on swingin' from the chandelier gittin' it on) must forcibly carry and deliver a child, being a few of the stances taken by some "Christians".  In short, too late? laws, should be drafted with the least amount of religious based bias, not the most.




Obviously, there are faith based beliefs that are the law of the land.  Murder, for example.  A no-no legally and biblically.  On the surface one could argue that's religion influencing law.  That it's illegal because it's immoral.  That of course would be the short-sighted assertion.  Yes, in my opinion, redrum is immoral too, but it's illegal because it's significantly impacting, ya know, in the harmful kinda way to the decedent (not to mention their family, friends, community, etc.,).  Indeed something that should be illegal and carry severe ramifications. 

However, gay marriage?  Abortion?  Fine.  It (they) might offend your personal sensibilities or your interpretation of your religion, but (NEWSFLASH) those aren't actually crimes.  (For those subscribing to 'personhood' viewpoints, in other words that abortion is wrong [a, should-be crime to be outlawed if given the chance] because from the moment a sperm fertilizes an egg it is a person, folks?  While it's your right to hold such an opinion and live your life by that belief, allow me to present to a real fact that the rest of us live by:



You are allowed to have your own beliefs.  You're just not allowed to have your own facts. 

Neither issue has an impact on your life if you have no intention of marrying someone of the same sex, or no need/want for an abortion.  See how easy that is?  Instead of allowing that to be that, too many Christians have adopted a 'my way or the highway' stance on such issues.  A mindset that perplexingly justifies taking God's plan for us to exercise our own freewill and has Calvin pee on it.    

Before you think I'm only calling out or picking on Christians, it should be noted that I'm troubled by many fanatical and extreme subsets of faiths that bring out the worst of someone.  Ones where critical thinking is eshewed even if it comes at the detriment of the extremist.  (It reminds me of that old God/boat joke.)  For instance, the Taliban.  Much like I'm not calling out ALL Muslims because the Taliban is not representative of all of those who practice Islam, I'm also not calling out ALL Christians because I also know that they are not representative of the far Christian right.  The (New term!) really right is an example of the most fanatical of Christians in our nation.  It just so happens they seem to be, in eerily similar ways taking moves straight outta the Taliban playbook as they ascended into power as the really right does today in an attempt to grasp for power in our country.  

And let's not forget the other fanatical Christians, you may know them by their initials, KKK.  Congrats!  That's some impressive company you're keepin'.

Acknowledging the 'if it walks like a duck-edness', in a way that the Germans didn't with the brown shirts, of the existence of this really righty'dness movement, one must also acknowledge its scary real impact on our day-to-day lives, in big and small ways alike, for instance: 


A religious banner awaiting the obligatory sign run through at a public high school in Texas.

My problem with it?  Nothing.  If they were cheerleaders holding it up for Our Lady of Bad Cathlolic Kidz, or any other church-y school.  Because they're private institutions.  A public school, the last time I checked was, um, public.  As public as City Hall, or the Post Office, also places it would not be okay to post a religious message.  (And yes, I know some places do erect Christmas trees and the like denoting Christmas, but around here at least, in public buildings you'll also see a Menorah to acknowledge Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and other seasonal celebrations.  It's hard to argue hypocrisy or deference, when pretty much everyone gets included.)  In a society (Society:  a highly structured system of human organization of, or large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members:  American society.), it's inappropriate to behave as if everyone holds your religious views, whateverthefuck they are.   

Some may say that somehow this means religious freedoms are taken away.  As if, if you're not allowed to make some Jewish/Hindu/agnostic athlete have to read your stance on your faith before he hits the field, that your freedoms are being challenged, nay, that an agent of the government will soon breech your home, line you, your children and goldfish up and shoot you all in the head during the night because you dared to go to church on Sunday.  Really? 

Mmmmkay.  Imagine if you will, that your Christian kid played at a public school and the vast majority of the population was atheist/agnostic, wouldja think it was ok for him to have to run though a sign in opposition to your religion beliefs? 


(Would YOU be cool with this?  Yeah, I thought not.)
 
 
Vexingly, the same people who are gonna complain about ^this^ are the same people who have nooooooooo problem with expecting someone else's kid to be involved with something they may not agree with or believe in.  Or that they may be downright offended by.

They call people who feel these ways a liberal.  But when a really right Christian/Republican/conservative (which are morphing into being all the same of late.  Soooooo, new word?  Republaright?  Conserveatian?  Christpublican?   ...I'll work on that.)  says it, it doesn't sound like;  Liberal:  a person who believes in freedom so much that they want people to be free to do their shit... as long as it doesn't infringe on someone elses shit.  Nooooo.  It sounds like;   Liberal: A stupid.  Godless.  Freeloader, or at a minimum, pro-freeloadin'.  ...That you've probably had an abortion, likely because you were fucking Lucifer himself may likely be a communist/anarchist but are definitely tryin' to ruin our nation, and are probably experimenting with the new 'smiles' drug in between binging on your food stamp Funyuns and Colt .45 forty, l-i-b-e-r-a-l.   (spits, wipes disdain off lips) 

The word didn't used to sound so dirty and treasonous.  ...But then again, The people who would refer to liberals as the other side of the political spectrum didn't used to think it was a word, or concept worthy of such levels of contempt, disdain and near hate-like fervor.  That was, of course, when there were still moderates in power of the party, before it was hijacked by the far right Christan conservative contingent.



Now, I don't wanna brag, I don't wanna boast, yeah toast but I was a prrrrrrrretty solid C/D student (...BBG does not apply herself), much to my parents chagrin.  So, I would not want to lead you to believe that I'm somehow smarter than the average bear on ANY subject, let alone one as complex and nuanced as politics.  But, as a LBG (lil' brown girl) I seem to remember most political squabbles of the day having to do more with economics, what to do about Beirut, OPEC and Star Wars (the anti missile program, not the movie for those of you youngin's) type stuff rather than managing women's uterus in the name of religion.  It seemed like our nation was being run by people who looked out to the best of their politician-y abilities for the best of our collective interests.  Did so and worked as bipartisan-y as you could expect politicians to accomplish.  I mean, shit seemed to get done.  


But that was back in 'tha day when (as I recall it from a kid perspective) in large part we were deciding on pragmatic and secular issues.  And as the Nostradamus-esque and one time GOP Presidential nominee, Barry AuH2o stated it, before "these preachers" got ahold of the party.  In the time before this >> would have had to have been pointed out to serve as a legitimate reminder...


These days we can't get enough done for our nation.  It's a perplexing dichotomy of one party being increasingly comprised of believers who often attempt to use their faith to legislate law, (ignoring the fact that our founding fathers purposefully did not decree an official religion of the states.  Good ol' Johnny Hancock and the boys didn't just forget that lil' detail, ya know?  They were mindful not to allow any particular religion to have a greater deference than another.  Mindful to not set up a nation where religion supersedes the Constitution in terms of our land and laws.) whilst simultaneously crying that their religious freedoms are being taken away, when all that is being asked is that they extend the exact same religious freedoms to everyone else.  (That's not exactly my understanding of the definition of 'religious persecution', is it yours?)




And the other being chocked full 'o people, like me, who think that the pursuit of life, liberty and justice for all, not to mention happiness, for every American doesn't include your (or my) faith.  Which is decidedly not the same thing as being anti-religion.

The problem being that it would require a compromise on the part of the far Christian right.  A concept that is generally viewed as a good thing.  Except, when you're fighting for God, there's no room for compromise or reason when this is the catalyst for your fight.  There's only room for being faithful soldier armed with your convictions in a battle royale that can be applied to every thing, and one different than you, where if you acquiesce even a single point it will show that you are weak or not as holy and righteous as you think you are, and you can't have that.  Instead you have the 'pry it from my cold, dead hands' dynamic. 

It's an ethos that reaches from the pulpit to the conservative representatives holding office.  It feels like it's one of the things that has emboldened the GOP to be so obstinate on, um?  How do I say it?  Oh, right.  Everyfuckingthing.  To a degree larger than I'm comfortable with we are gridlocked and mired down in trying to run a religious nation, at the cost of running THE nation.  I donno about you, but I'm not ok with that.  Putting party first is not in the best interest of America.  Not by either party.  But it's hard to say by any measure where important governmental business has be as stagnated by Democrats in the recent years.  Doubt the veracity of that statement?  Get to Googlin'.  If everything that's being held up, blocked and filibustered on is being done by one side, almost exclusively, there's a reason why.  Now, is it more likely that every single decision the other side has made have been wrong.  Every - single - one?  Or that 'we can't pass anything or it will look like he's accomplishing shit?' is the issue?  If even an blind squirrel finds a nut, isn't just kinda likely that some of the President's ideas and leadership have been the correct calls?  ...You sure wouldn't know that from any Republican I know.  Stop pointing out fanaticism and hypocrisy.

Even I find it sad that this is now how I perceive Republicans and the GOP.  Being a Republican used to make me think someone who had a different idea of how we should be divvying up the budget.  Or what our policy should be about the Congo?  That maybe we'd debate how many children should be allowed per classroom, whether we should scrap the penny or Daylight Savings, or how we'll proceed with our investigation of space?  I never would have imagined that there would have come a day where being Republican meant being the associated with a party that had a chance to help give 2nd class gay American citizens the freedom to marry and benefit from all of the tangible rights that accompany it, and didn't because you've (I donno?) been bullied or bamboozled into backing it in order to gain a political tactical advantage, when a significant number of you know it's wrong.  It makes me sad for the party to see it in such a state.  It's a low point for the party that gave us great leaders like Lincoln. Roosevelt and Eisenhower. 

I have voted in every election and the vast majority of primaries since I turned 18.  I've always believed that men shed their blood so that I would have the freedom to cast a vote to have my say in how my city/state/country is managed, and that the very least I can do is to pay attention to issues and candidates at hand and each November show up and do it.  As I formulate my decisions, I try to take in to account what (person/stance) provides for the greater good, in my opinion, for my neighbors, I try not to be a solely self-serving voter.  Mainly, because I don't believe that's what America is about.  (Or religion for that matter.)  I work under the SOP that we're only as strong as our weakest links.  I come from a place that we look out for our own, which of course is a tres copkid way of thinking.  Over the years I've voted for Democrats and Republicans.  In fact, during the early part of the Republican race I was both impressed by and interested in what Jon Huntsman brought to the table.  I also hold some pretty conservative views on things like capital punishment and my love of guns, although I have a more moderate stance on gun control.  I try to be open to seeing what anyone or any party has to offer.

This election is, for me, incredibly cut and dry. 

Dear GOP,
When you wonder why you lost my vote, please remember, it's not me, it's you.

I'd like to think that had I been alive in the days of segregation that I wouldn't have sat on the sidelines watching other citizens being treated as second class citizens and doing nothing, therefore I can not in good conscience sit and allow you to continue to work against the interests of gay Americans and to continue to treat them as less than equals to me just because I dig men.  (related post:  My Big Fat Gay Manifesto

Because I believe that the only thing denying access to legal abortion stops is women dying in back alleys.   That wealthy people will always have access to abortions, yet the poor will only have access to coat hangers if you have your way.  And because I don't have a crystal ball and can't see into the future to know what it will hold for my Goddaughters, I cannot have their freedom to manage their ladyparts as they see fit put at risk in lieu of some hazy combination of governmental oversight, invasive and unneeded procedures, legislators who believe in "legitimate rapes" and a woman's magical properties to "shut it down" mixed with religious views that they may or may not hold.

Because I, and nearly 50% of our nation are chicks, I refuse to back a party and candidate who actively work against laws that would ensure that we close the pay gap between men and women, with women in 2,000 and fucking 12 still earning only .70 per $1.00 a man earns.  Of course, opposing the Violence Against Women Act didn't really help your case either.

I cannot vote for you because I can't condone a party who seeks to limit voter participation by instituting essentially a poll tax, which the the Constitution is expressly against (see Amendment #24).  I cannot vote for a party that in this low voter climate isn't working to increase voter participation.  I can't vote for a party that cites "voter fraud" as a reason to roll voting percentages down to pre- '08 levels by instituting voter ID laws ostensibly to prohibit in-person voter fraud.  Ya know, that massive voter fraud the the Wall Street Journal calls "statistically zero" and "less than 1%", yet ignores absentee ballot voter fraud, which the WSJ reports constitutes a problem 50x larger which ID's don't address at all.  


I certainly can't back a party holds opinions on black American voters that allow them to feel these are somehow innocuous and appropriate statements;  “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban— read African-American — voter-turnout machine.” (Doug Preisse, chairman of BBGbus county Republican Party and elections board member)  Or the former Florida Republican Party chair who says, 'some GOP leaders were meeting to discuss ways they could suppress black votes'.  Oddly, while having a discussion over this exact topic a friend implied that me bringing these statements up and allowing it to influence my views means that I'm playing the race card.  I'm not sure at what point in history, noticing sumthin' (by way of representatives of the GOP and their actual words) and having the audacity to comment on it turned into being some Black Panther card carryin', hyper sensitive race card playa vs. an informed and concerned person, but apparently that's where we are in terms of the chasm between my vote and where the GOP is.

(Update:)  And now this?

'Come on GOP...

I can't side with people who think if an American citizen is sick and uninsured that the answer is "let him die."  Or that think 47% of our nation is "irresponsible, government-dependent & victims", when that 47% consists of grandma's and grandpa's who worked hard all their lives, veterans, active military members, students, the earnest 'working poor' (which applies to those making up to $50,000/yr. who don't pay income tax) and disabled citizens.  Of course, there are scoundrels who take advantage of what is commonly called entitlements.  There's nothing scoundrels won't try to scheme to their benefit, but that's an issue of management, requirements and being more diligent in sussing out fraud.  I don't have the answer for that, but I know the problem isn't my friends mother who if it weren't for Medicaid keeping her cared for in a nursing home would be out in the fucking street, the problem isn't the poor kid who's hungry that food stamps keeps in groceries, and I can't allow them to be put on more vulnerable footing by a party who seems to be, again, if we take them at their words, ok with lettin' people die, where in true Darwinian fashion only the strong and wealthy enough to fend for themselves survive.  They shouldn't be put at greater risk because we haven't come up with a better way to keep criminals from doing criminal things.

As a girl with a pre-existing condition, never again having to contemplate lying about my condition out of fear of this being the time the insurance company would deem it uncoverable and having that declaration hanging over my head for the rest of my life, is a large weight off of my shoulders.  Knowing that my mother who has an illness that will require intensive and on-going care all the rest of her days will never hit a spending cap is another important factor.  If the GOP had its way I wouldn't have that health security as it's something they've tried to repeal 31x (yes, including even AFTER the SCOTUS upheld it).

You've made it near impossible for me to even get to our fiscal philosophical differences, because you've become so entrenched in representing the wrong side of so many human issues.  I implore you:  GET BACK TO focusing on and coming up with ideas to help run our country!  And not our bedrooms and uterus'. Stop backing people who represent and pander to those who hold the most extreme religious ideas, who you've allowed to gain influence in your party.  It's weakening you.  It's turning voters who otherwise might support you away.  If you don't draw the line in the sand and modify your behavior I can see you having a splinter party breaking off in the future to shake the stench of some of the social issues shit you seem intent on stepping in by Republicans who don't want to have to own that anymore.  Frankly, I'm not even opposed to a multiple party set up, as long as they're large enough to do something other than give an advantage to the other side.  Without a party having enough support to win, around 30% of the nation, a vote for them becomes a vote against the next closest platform that you would support. 

I hope we won't have to have this chat again and that you will embrace a lil' hope that you can take your party back and will create the change to make it happen.  But for now, I bid you adieu.   (drops mic, walks off stage)

~BBG


...Now, that I've got that off my chest maybe I can just keep my head from exploding until November.


If you've stayed with me this long, know you have just earned yourself one BBG Gold Star!  If you are of a like mind and wanna comment, please do.  If you are diametrically opposed to everything I believe in, coolio.  It's one of the best things about America, that we are all free to hold our own opinions, if you want to share yours have at it, but mind you, it would have to be a pretty compelling argument to get me to turn my back on people who I don't think of as 'victims' I just think they're people I'm lucky enough not to be.  I just like to think of them as my neighbors.  Oh yeah, and nearly half of the country, so you're gonna have to be reeeeeal persuasive.


Share/Bookmark

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Longest post I think I've ever read = worth it for the new phrase the really right. 2 thumbs up

BigBrownGirl said...

Thanks for stickin' in there Anonymous! I wish I could have figured out a better way to have broken it up into more manageable chunks. ...But I couldn't seem to :-(

I appreciate your thumbs!!

Anonymous said...

Amen to EVERYTHING. Like you I don't have a problem with religion but religious people are ruining this country. Heres hoping we aren't the only ones paying attention. Sharing this one - Kelly

Anonymous said...

You are, of course, completely fucking correct in each and every way. Except I'm pretty sure it's uteri. I think the stupidity and ignorance piss me off even more than they rile you up. It's not simply incorrect...it's not simply 'un-Christian'...it's an intentional delusion and the behavior that comes from it is far less than should be the minimum expectation of human beings. -shmoo

BigBrownGirl said...

@Kelly~ *fingers crossed* and thanks!

@ShmooP~ Congratulations! I am awarding you two extra GOLD STARS!! One for including 'fucking' in your comment & 1 for uteri. Well done. ;D

Anonymous said...

If you believe that you have sh!t for brains

BigBrownGirl said...

@Anonymous~
You are welcome to your opinion, but you leave me no choice but to deduct a star for including a f@ke curse. Sorry.

Kevin Routh said...

That was a really long post but very well written! I need to share this on FB so more people read this. :)

BigBrownGirl said...

@KRouth~ Have at it!

This 100% would benefit from a good editor, unfortunately, clearly, I'm as Charles Barkley would say, turrilbe at it. Thanks very much for your kind words.

Gold star given to you for not callin' me a shit-for-brains ;D

BigBrownGirl said...

P.S. @KRouth~ I'm *still* proud of your Different post.

Jodi Foster said...

Thanks for writing this one and not letting your head explode. I like your head and want to keep it around for a long time! ;)

BigBrownGirl said...

@Jodi Foster~ Thanks doll! Some moments it felt a lil' touch and go ;-P (You are the winner of an extra gold star for using your code name)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! I am a Lutheran girl myself...my ex used to call me a watered down Catholic. =) You've put my feelings into words. What a wonderful read! Well worth the time.
By the way, your link is making its way through FB. That's how I found you and I plan to share the link. =)

Jill Corral-Blossom

Shades of Grey said...

First time reader, but I greatly enjoyed this. I was raised secular Jewish, went to a Catholic High School, spent a year at a Lutheran College, and have met religious folks of all shapes and colors, some reasonable, some wack-a-loons. The worst of the worst were the Christians who almost attacked me right after 9/11 when I pointed out the serious ideological flaws in their signs that said "They will know that we are Christians by our bombs". Classy bunch right there.

As my friend Jim Wright says in his blog, Stonekettle Station (which if you aren't reading, you really should be!), "You cannot reason with unreasonable people". The hardcore Right have their agenda laid out and they're following it dogmatically. Dogmatists cannot be reasoned with, because as you pointed out, there's no room in their ideology for it.

Rogue LeBeau said...

I stumbled across this post from a meme on FB, and I have to say, you've managed to write the post I've been meaning to write (but was too scared/tired/daunted to write). It's refreshing and encouraging. I love your voice, your logic, and your opinions. :)

Anonymous said...

COMPLETELY agree! Well-said!

Alan Meyer said...

BBG I'm not a citizen of the USA but I am in agreement with what you have to say. Looking in from the outside it is very scary. The implications of a republican ( yes I used a lower case "r" because they have denigrated REAL Republican ideals to the point of being non- existant and No I'm not a Conservative I'm a Green Social Democrat Liberal i.e. an NDP'er in Canada) win in November would completely destroy your country and have disastrous repercussions world wide.

Sami Loves Bacon said...

I'm so glad I randomly stumbled across the link to your blog in a fb post. Not to mention this particular blog is a helluva introduction to the way you think. Not trying to be a kiss ass, but I'd have to say I agree with every point you made as well as the reasoning behind each one. You definitely just made a fan out of me.

Michelle said...

Stupendous post. Seriously! You took about twenty of my favourite soapbox rants (most days as I read the news)and then chucked wit, wisdom, sanity, and a ton of solid common sense onto them. Brilliant.

As a BWAG (Big White born-in-Africa Girl) I find USA politics just mind boggling... (insert fairly similar rant, except from an outsider looking in).

I was sent your link via Facebook. Il'l definitely be back to read again. I'm so behind on my own blogging it is just pathetic. Been too busy with life and another passion - blogblast for Peace. Do consider joining us on Nov 4th to blog for peace. I did a pretty good video rant on violence against women for 2009.. or 10? I can't remember now! :-\ Getting old - hence my crowsfeet blog name!;-)

If you'd like to rant for Peace - here's the official link: http://mimilenox.blogspot.co.uk/

and my video was 2009. I checked!

http://crows-feet.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dona-nobis-pacem-peace-starts-here.html

Have a great Monday.





Anonymous said...

Right on!!! You are the smartest girl in class today.

BigBrownGirl said...

Wow!!



@JC-B~ Thanks for letting the BBGW be the biggest time suck of your day! And thanks for being part of sharing the word!



@Shades of Grey~ Thanks for swinging in to peep in my window! Class bunch, indeed... Thanks for the blog tip, I will check it out. I always like to see what others have to say and check out their views.



@Rogue LeBeau~ Are you kidding me? *Those* reasons were exactly the ones that had me putting off this post too. I completely understand. You and the others who've left comments encourage me that maybe we're not alone in our feelings and that people like us will get about the business of taking *our* country back. Thanks for your comment and spending time in the BBGWorld!



@Anonymous~ Thank you!



@AlanM~ Very interesting to hear your outside of the US feedback. Thanks for the read! Q: Does 'liberal' sound the same in Canada? Dirty & perhaps treasonous? Or is it more respectable?



@Sami Loves My Favorite Food~ Thanks for the sumble in! FYI things around the BBGWorld are seldom *reasonable* ;-P but you are welcome any time. Glad you enjoyed!



@BWAG~ (<- I love that!) Mind boggling is indeed the correct phrase! I'm glad someone thought this was worthy of a share with you, if only to prove that we're all not crackpots. (Fine. I may actually be a crackpot, just not on these issues ;D) I will check your blog too.



@Anonymous~ Thanks! (I will consider that a gold star from you)



You have each earned an extra coveted (haha) GOLD STAR for leaving comments that remind me that I'm not the last girl who thinks this way. You have made my day!!



Anonymous said...

This is one of the best political posts I have seen written. A friend sent it to me & as I scrolled the length I didn't think I would complete the post but you drew me in deeper with each point made. I agree with your observations & commentary fully. I will be sharing your link with my circle as I could not say it better than you have. Excellent job BBG. I look forward to visiting your world again. Greg

Anonymous said...

As a white man, of advanced years I did NOT expect to be comfortable at a site called ***Big Brown Girl World*** but this post made me feel right at home.

BigBrownGirl said...

@Greg~ Thanks so much! I wish I had the knack for being consice, but clearly I missed that day. You're always welcome, visit anytime.

@Anonymous~ HAHA! I've never thought much about the name, only that I'm a big brown girl and *this* is my wee world. Kudos on resisting your good judgement and trepidation and swinging by!

Please accept 1 extra Thank You,Gents Gold Star for each of you.

Jen said...

BBG, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. One of the folks I follow on the FB sent me here. I'm pleased to discover that you are a fucking bad ass. I've read some past posts and plan to continue (read: become your online stalker, but only in a good "you're my interweb girl crush" sorta way).
Suffice it to sayy, I think you're hilarious and I sorta wish I had bought the URL to Big White Girl World now :)
Thanks you for this post!
Jen

BigBrownGirl said...

@Jen~ HA! I don't know if 'bad ass' is accurate, but I like the way it sounds, and you properly prefaced it with fucking, soooo 2 additional Gold Stars to you! Thanks for taking up residency (and your kind words), I'll look forward to seein' you around!
~BBG

Anonymous said...

I followed a link from the Everlasting GOP Stoppers wall and I'm so glad I did! I'm thinking about passing out your link when the subject turns to politics. You have written everything I want to say and never seem to be able to articulate.

M. Martin (Virginia Beach, VA)

1dansyl said...

Very good post. So glad I found this, also from a link from from the Everlasting GOP Stoppers. I shared it with my husband.

S.G.
Seattle,WA

jamiessmiles said...

Wow, awesome post. As usual I agree with everything you say. Sometimes I really have to take a deep breath and remind myself there are some truly great and fantastic CHristians out there. That Kirk- that Growing Pain in the ass-Cameron is not representative of all Christians out there. I like to believe they are mostly like you. Unfortunately hate screams louder. It was nice to hear from the other side for a change. BRILLIANT POST! I had to stop in the middle for a late lunch, lol.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post!!!!!! It's refreshing to read an opinon piece on these subjects and have it be filled with reason. I agree with every word. Is it too early to suggest BBG for President 2016?

Jamie W
Tampa, Fl


Anonymous said...

It's comforting to know I'm not the only person who feels this way. I'm completely bewildered by the GOP. Thanks for your post.

The Blue Grumpster said...

The best post I've ever read on any of these topics. And I've read it all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...